Bread with Black Olive Topping
Serves 10-12 as an appetizer
- 1 cup pitted Alfonso olives
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 ounces Arroyabe Anchovies in Olive Oil drained and patted dry
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Spanish brandy
- 1/3 cup Nunez de Prado extra virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing on bread
- Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 loaf Italian bread, 3-4 inches in diameter
Place all ingredients except bread in a food processor and pulse until almost smooth. Transfer to serving dish.
Slice bread into 1/2 inch slices. Brush with olive oil and bake in a 350F oven until lightly toasted.
Serve topping with toasted bread and ice cold dry Spanish Sherry.
From our best area chefs:
Love going to Extra Virgin an Olive Ovation. I want to have everything there in my pantry.
- Ben Poremba, Olio, Elaia
Marianne Prey is a wealth of knowledge. Every time I go in there, I learn something new about olive oil.
- Gerard Craft, Niche, Brasserie, Taste, Pastaria
I like Extra Virgin An Olive Ovation for imported mustards, vinegars and olive oils. Incorporating these ingredients into a dish can change it significantly. For instance, a Zinfandel vinegar over a dessert is divine, and mustard in a soup is quite amazing.
- Natasha Kwan, Frida's Deli